What is mental health ? And what is awareness about it ? Simply putting mental health is an average status of how you feel about yourself , your life , your environment in general . In our country it’s not a debatable topic especially with our family . Starting from school , we don’t have counselors to cope up with various changes in our teen years .Sadly most of us don’t share much with our parents either , thinking they won’t understand its depth .
We are just told to be the perfect human being without perfecting the art of mental health awareness . So what are the symptoms of mental health problems ? How do we maintain a positive outlook towards life ? How do we take care of ourselves? Couple of self-report tests showing the common symptoms of mental health problems :-
Long-lasting sadness or irritability ; with persistent thoughts and memories Extremely high and low mood swings ; feeling unusually confused, forgetful , worried and upset .Excessive fear, worry, or anxiety ; hallucinating voices and believing false things.Social withdrawal ; yelling or fighting with family and friends.
Dramatic changes in eating or sleeping habits ; having low or no energy Generally this symptoms acts as a warning sign . Psychologists in Bangladesh says that every year there are approximately 11000 suicides in Bangladesh and the rate is consistently higher among young people which is concerning . Main cause of it is their downfall of mental health . So we can verily evaluate the importance of taking care of our mental health .
Ways to stay positive :-
◦ Remove toxicity from ur life anyhow . Toxicity and attachment might be co-related . In that case it will be hard . But you got to do what you need to . At the end of the day the biggest development in your life is to take a step forward in taking a positive control of your life . Disclaimer : Toxicity can be anything . It can be a person then again it can be the simple fact that you give too much energy and importance to social media . It differs naturally as people have different life .
Pamper yourself . Does not matter if you are a male or female . Here the definition of pamper means doing something you love .A hobby of yours that makes you feel comfortable . Something that keeps you calm and happy .
In this busy life of ours we need something to hold on , something with which we can escape the busy city life even for a few seconds . In brief , something which makes us love the art of living life is the exact definition of pamper to me . Do remember loving yourself is not related with selfish reasons or luxurious lifestyle . Not at all . Pampers doesnʼt always comes with a price tag . For eg : being surrounded by greeneries and Mother Nature has always been sort of a pamper session for me honestly .
Women in particular need to keep an eye on their physical and mental health, because if we’re scurrying to and from appointments and errands, we don’t have a lot of time to take care of ourselves. We need to do a better job of putting ourselves higher on our own ‘to do’ list.
◦ Meditate and try to maintain your prayers regularly . Sincerity towards your religion and faith is very important to heal emotionally . “That peace, that sense of meaning and connection that happens with prayer is what is positive,” Park says. “Those kinds of things have physiological effects on the body, such as calming your cardiovascular system and reducing your stress.”
◦ Try to be less problematic and overdramatic . Thatʼs how you will naturally stay positive . Life will become a thousand times easier trust me . “There is no such thing as 100 percent mentally healthy humans. It is also important to note that experiencing mental challenges is a normal part of life,” Nabil said in an email interview.
◦ Start keeping track of what upsets you the most and try to solve its root cause .
◦ Last but not least don’t ever try to compare yourself with anyone’s capability and talent . Competition is productive . But comparison is not .“.With that being said , a few of you might still have a question that what if for not maintaining the mentioned advice any of us fall victim to depression and anxiety?What if due to lifeʼs unbearable turning point we become suicidal? Then remember every problem has a solution . In Bangladesh you can visit psychologists and seek therapy counseling sessions .
Helpline : You can also contact emotional support helpline . “Kaan Pete Roi “ is one of
them . It is a non profit organisation which was formed in the year 2013 by Yeshim Iqbal .The sole purpose of this group is suicide prevention. It is staffed by trained volunteers where people can call to receive immediate emergency counseling
Written by: Tahira Noor